Extracts from Parkin's "An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk". This ancient book was printed in 1808 and was kindly lent by Terry Scott.
The pages detail some of the fuedal titles in Saxon and early mediaeval times. Reference is made on Pages 410 & 415 to how Flitcham got its name - not, as is popularly claimed, from St Felix (who is believed to have been the first Christian Bishop). Page 419 mentions the local parliament (or Hundred Court) which was held on a hill to the north of the village at the end of the 11th century in the reign of William Rufus (William ll 1056-1100).
|Page 410||Page 411||Page 412||Page 413||Page 414|
|Page 415||Page 416||Page 417||Page 418||Page 419|